Blog/News

 

 

 

 

Designing a Scarf of the Wildlife in Virginia

Designing a Scarf of the Wildlife in Virginia       The Blue Ridge Wildlife Center asked if I would design a scarf for them and the image above is the result.      It's always interesting trying to figure how to go about an endeavor such as this. I really liked the look and feel of the turnip scarf (Designing a Scarf?) and I thought I might begin with that template in my mind. The turnip scarf is 42" square and is 100% pure silk. Even though I've had qualms about square scarves in the past, they are much easier to wear if they are large. For [...]


Designing a Scarf?

Designing a Scarf?           One thing I've I've wanted to pursue: Your beautiful scarves are a lot different from paintings, I would guess. What is your process? How do you design one, and what sorts of 'pilot tests' do you go through before you know you have your winner?      Sidney Oliver Let me lead you through the process of the most recent scarf design.   This latest scarf evolved in an interesting way, but perhaps no different from any other project. I would never have thought of putting together a scarf featuring turnips if it hadn't been for a request from some women who attend the [...]


Some Fun-to-Do PR for the Scarf for Charity

As in the previous post, the Trinity Episcopal Church's new ECW Italian-made scarf benefiting charities is out.  It's based on my nest paintings and was designed by Liz Oliver.  The link to read about it can be found here:  http://www.trinwash.org/RAPPAHANNOCK-SCARF/   In the meantime, check out some of the PR for the scarf.       [...]


A Scarf for Charity

    The Trinity Women (ECW) from Trinity Episcopal Church in Washington, VA asked me to do a painting to turn into a scarf for them to sell as a fundraiser for the many charities they support.  This is a result.  Liz Oliver, of Monroe & Crocker, laid out the graphic for the scarf and Peter-Blair, out of Richmond, had the scarf produced.        Original Image-  "All Things Rappahannock"   The scarves sell for $85.  If interested, please email:  [email protected]       [...]


Artwork for Charity

It's kind of fun for a painter to see a piece of artwork evolve from a simple design into wearable art....and all for charity.  I was asked to design a Save the Date card and an invitation for the 2017 Summer Safari, an event held each year by the Piedmont Environmental Council, Shenandoah National Park Trust, and the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute.  The items to be included in the design were many of the projects or entities representing each charity.  I turned in the image immediately below and the committee took over from there.         I came up with the 12"X16" pen [...]