Blog/News

 

 

 

 

Note about 12

With thanks for the grant from RAAC's Claudia Mitchell's Fund, I've been juggling a new book and painting for my day job, which encompasses getting in gear for the Fall Art Tour (November 4/5, 2023).   I tend to focus solely on one thing for weeks if not months, rather than sketching for the book one day and painting in oils the next.   The book is basically finished other than some tweaks and minor additions.    As I pivot back to oils, I would like to present the cover as well as a couple of snippets from the book. Thank you to Fathom Creative, Inc. for [...]


How It Started...How It Ended

The Process Near the beginning of the process, sometimes I remember to take a photograph. Below are some of these photographs of recent works followed by the completed painting. Bear in mind that a painting is never completed until it is sold and out of my reach.   At times paintings dramatically evolve and at other times there are no drastic twists and turns.           The Blank Canvas, 18x24 in., Oil on Panel           A Morning for Meditation, 18x36 in., Oil on Panel           Renewal, 30x30 in., Oil on Panel           Red Dawn, 18x36 in., Oil on Panel           A Timeless Summer, 24x24 in., Oil on Panel [...]


Why This Route?

Why This Route?           At last, I was compelled.   Previous attempts at writing a book appeared forced, but this time the words seemed to spew forth effortlessly. Rewriting and proofing occurred, but the thoughts were cemented which made the process less daunting.   What began as a glorified pamphlet morphed into a major production complete with a splendid dusk jacket and hardback book loaded with color. I received advice and aid from professionals in the field of publications and I realized I needed to go full-throttle.    Full-throttle for me meant being in complete control-learning three different software programs for the layout; hunting decades-old slides; thinking up topics; [...]


Switching It Up

Switching It Up         I've stated in this blog and in my forthcoming book, A Painter's Musings, that I like to switch styles to keep fresh. I'm not sure I would find painting fun if that option weren't available.   While working on the book, I saw my paintings of buildings I painted in watercolor a long time ago. I remembered how much fun I had painting angles. I don't have the feel to do the exact same thing in oils, but I realized I missed painting angles, so I am varying and adapting that 1966 assignment to fit my whim in 2021.   A teacher in [...]


All That Remains

All That Remains       Betsy Holleman Burke's All That Remains with my work on the cover.   A go-cart is all that remains from the demolition of the go-to house when I was a teenager growing up in Knoxville, TN. The Knoxville family home of Betsy Christenberry Holleman Burke was destroyed under false pretenses. Distraught by the experience, Betsy wrote a series of poems that have just been published by Cherry Grove Collections. All That Remains can be found at Union Ave Books in Knoxville, TN and on Amazon.   Originally from Knoxville, I was a friend of Betsy's three younger brothers. As we all aged, the [...]


Why Would I Combine Pen & Ink, Watercolor, and Oil in One Painting?

During the recent RAAC (Rappahannock Association for Arts & the Community) Studio & Gallery Tour I was asked why I would combine oil, watercolor, and pen & ink in one painting. The short, rather flippant answer, would be: "Why not?" There probably is an underlying reason worth exploring and the next time I'm asked this question, I will refer the questioner to this blog post. [...]


The Soldiers

In an effort to make toy soldier collecting more interesting, a series of panels were painted as background for the men in uniform.  Windsor Castle is the framed piece with the British ceremonial soldiers.  The Tower of London shows off more British soldiers and a painting of Shiloh stands behind the Civil War Soldiers.  [...]